While space heaters account for approximately 2 percent of residential fires annually, they are responsible for almost 25 percent of home fire fatalities, annually. So you see the potential here; a small device used without safety precautions has the potential to produce catastrophic results from improper use.
When using portable heaters:
– Keep combustibles at least three feet away
– Keep kids and pets three feet away
– Remember to turn off portable heaters when leaving the room, or going to bed
– Always use the right kind of fuel, as specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters
– Always refuel space heaters OUTSIDE, after the unit has cooled to touch
In addition to the tips above, one of the best ways to protect your family and your home is with properly maintained smoke alarms in conjunction with a fire escape plan.