In 1915, Louis H. Elling was appointed Fire Chief. Early in his tenure the last horse was retired from active service, the first motor driven “pumper” was purchased replacing the first of many “steam” engine to be replaced. Approximately five years into Chief Elling’s tenure, on September 16, 1920, Fire Station 18 was constructed at Sylvania Avenue and Peak Street.
This two-bay station housed an engine and ladder, and on May 1, 1936 the ladder was placed out of service.
On May 1, 1976, a third paramedic-staffed “Life Squad” was placed into service operating out of Station 18.
On July 19, 1975, Station 18 at Sylvania Avenue and Peak Street was closed with the opening of the new Station 18 located at 5225 Lewis Avenue.